Today is so grey and chilly, but I kind of love it to be honest! The weather is so relaxing and calming when it is like this. Don’t get me wrong, I loveeee the sun… but sometimes it is nice to appreciate different kinds weather as well. 🙂
This morning I totally wanted to just cozy up in bed, but somehow I dragged myself up and went for a nice pre-breakfast power walk. There really is nothing like walking by the ocean in the morning… just the best!
Power walking is so so so good for you. I actually can’t get over how great it is for your body, and all the amazing benefits that it has.
Want to know why you should mix power walking into your fitness routine? Well, here’s the skinny:
- Power walking burns fat even FASTER than if you are jogging!!! Whattt??? Yes, you heard me. Burns. More. Fat.
- It is easier on your joints! I don’t know if any of you are prematurely elderly (like myself lol) but when I start to get sore joints from jogging, I switch to speed walking and it always feels much better.
- Stress levels are lowered! Power walking gives you some alone time, where you can redirect your focus away from any nasty stressy things in your life. Everyone needs some “me” time! Including ME! (See what I did there?? hehe)
- Total body workout! Power walking has some exaggerated arm movements and this works out way more of those sexy muscles.
If all these health benefits aren’t enough to get you up and moving in the morning, think about this: How much easier is it to walk than it is to run. You literally don’t even have to pick up your feet! I may or may not have used that thought to motivate me to stop being a sloth and get out of bed this morning. 😛
Sometimes I just trick my mind and tell myself something is WAY easier than it actually is, so that I am not intimidated and just get out and do it. Try it… it is surprisingly effective haha!
Now, how do you power walk?
- “Heel, ball, toe” is the order your should stride in. Do quick steps like these and concentrate on planting your heel at the beginning of each step and propelling yourself through the step.
- Avoid taking super long strides, it is best to keep them quicker/shorter and more controlled.
- Bend your elbows at about 90 degrees, and do an exaggerated arm swing. I always feel so ridiculous when I do this, but whatever… haters gonna hate! 😉 Girl is getting her power walk on.
- Keep your core engaged! Your tummy should be tight and strong while power walking.
- GLUTES!!! Right so tighten those glutes, to make sure your entire core is working.
And go for it! I also love power walking because it is really fun to do with your friends. It is way easier to talk when you are not doing quick jogging to running intervals and just power walking instead. I usually go for 30 – 45 minutes depending on how I feel!
Do you guys ever power walk? What do you think? Let me know in the comments below. <3