I GOT A JUICER!! Partyyy timeeee! I am probably the last person on earth to jump on the juicing bandwagon, but the important thing is I am here now! Juice all day every day! (Can you tell I’m excited?? Haha)
So now. What is juicing and why do you need to do it?
Juicing is essentially a process that removes insoluble fiber from fruits and vegetables. According to Joe Cross (aka the juicing king,) “removing the insoluble fiber allows for increased absorption of specific health promoting phytonutrients including enzymes, while the soluble fiber persists into the juice.”
SCIENCE. So what this means is when you are juicing your favourite fruits and veggies, you are getting highly concentrated vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that you would otherwise have to eat an obscene amount of food to get. And whyyyy you ask, do you need to do this? Well 95% of the vitamins and enzymes your body needs are found in the juice of raw fruits & veggies!
Juicing is also a great way to get in your fruits and veggies, especially if you don’t particularly like eating them raw. (But you should totally be eating fruits and veggies on the regular because they are awesome… just saying.)
So I am a totally juicing noob, but I did my research. Here’s the skinny on how to maximize the benefit of your juicing:
- Drink your juice first thing in the morning. Do it before you have eaten anything, to make sure your stomach is empty. This will increase the amount of nutrients that are absorbed into your body!
- You must drink your juice within 3 days of making it! As soon as it hits the air and begins to oxidize, it loses some of its nutritional value. Some people (the really h-core ones) say to drink it within 24 hours, but realistically the oxidization process is so slow that you will never notice a difference.
- Store your juice in the fridge in a tightly sealed container… keeps it delicious and fresh for longer!
- Do NOT go crazy on juicing the fruit! Juicing only fruits makes a super high calorie drink. My goal is to always juice as many veggies as possible, and hide the taste (ahem..) with as few fruits as possible. That being said, fruity juices are fun treat too sometimes. 🙂
Have I blabbed your ear off enough? Well, I am not done quite yet. Drinking fresh juice also facilitates weight loss (!!!), increases energy levels, strengthens your immunity, and gives you a gorgeous glowing complexion. I WANT ALL THOSE THINGS!! Now, who is with me?!
On my first juicing quest I took my tips from a famous juicing book called “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.” It’s good, you should check it out. The juice I made today is called the “Mean Green Juice.” (<– sooo into that name.)
What’s in it:
- ½ cucumber
- 3 stalks of kale
- 2 pink lady apples
- ½ lemon
- large chunk ginger (I like mine extra gingery so use your judgement!)
- 2 celery stalks
Start by washing all your fruits and veggies well. Get all those nasty pesticides off! Now, core your apples and remove the skin from your lemon. Once you have put your apple core and lemon peel in the garbage, throw all your ingredients into your juicer!! And you have juice!!!
You can bet your beautiful selves that you will have some custom Skinny Belle juicing recipes coming your way soon! For now, I thought I would share with you the wonders of juicing, and why you need to invest in a juicer. Breville tends to make great juicers, check them out here and here.
Can’t wait to start juicing with you guys!! <3